Author Topic: move to smf  (Read 2201 times)

Offline Kira

• Administrator
move to smf
« on: May 26, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »
I'm sure many of you are confused why the sudden change to smf...  let me list reasons.

Joomla code has gotten big and bloated,  it's script execution time on this server is upwards of 5 seconds sometimes.  it is becoming a nightmare to manage as joomla updates and all the modules we depend on lag behind and fail.  it has become an administrators nightmare.

I have been researching how to convert us over to smf without loosing any posts,  one reason why I hadn't done this sooner was because I couldn't preserve attachments [till now]

no data has been lost,  and the old website still stands,  smf will be tested for a bit and we can always revert if it doesn't work out.

it is much much faster,  and easier to administrate,  and well.  I'm tired of the joomla nightmare and don't have time to tinker with it anymore.

Those of you who own a copy of tapatalk,  at the moment it doesn't work.  I haven't added support to this forum yet but I will very soon.

Gallery posts have NOT been lost.  the gallery STILL LIVES ON!  www.gallery.fantasyhaven.net as always.

no spam protection has been installed yet,  so expect it.  moderators please keep look out for spam.  I don't have moderator permissions set right yet,  if you're supposed to have permissions and don't,  ask me via pm.  I have a lot I gota fix up and setting permissions isn't a high priority to me right now.

User accounts should not be lost,  if you can't log in,  try again!  accounts have been migrated successfully however not all of the database information has been populated for your account.  this means first log in attempt will not succeed and it'll ask a second time!  don't create a second account!  just log in again and it'll work.

I'll add rest as I'm able.  Please bear with me.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:15:37 AM by Kira »

care to join me in bitcoin mining? click banner and sign up.
You'll need a little bitcoin to get started though. No hardware to buy.

Offline Vendena

• Master of the Void
  • Senpai
  • Rule Breaker
    • MyAnimeList
Re: move to smf
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:22:40 AM »
I kinda like this one more.

Anyways, since there's no spam protection... you should temporarily disable account registering while you set up your security thingies and don't let guests to post and etc.

Oh, and the gallery's URL is this one --> https://fantasyhaven.net/gallery/main.php

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:56:08 AM »
there is spam protection now.

and no,  I was right on the gallery url.  IT'S BOTH!  :P

Offline Rambo

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 09:59:58 AM »
Blue is nice. I like how the forum looks now. When I visited last time I thought that there are some problems with my connection. Turns out joomla was to blame. Keep up the good work.

Offline Vendena

• Master of the Void
  • Senpai
  • Rule Breaker
    • MyAnimeList
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 10:07:59 AM »
and no,  I was right on the gallery url.  IT'S BOTH!  :P

Click your link :x

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 10:14:52 AM »
it pissed me off.  I worked hard to make a fully customized theme and spam proof it and so on.  spam proofing was successful [we had no spam at all!]  theme nearly done....  one update from joomla and everything breaks!  They rewrite the entire core of the whole damn thing with every update and it really annoyed me.

permanent fix.  I wanted to use smf back when we first started,  but there was such a high demand for phpbb that I didn't get to do it.  phpbb was desired cause it had a single theme everyone wanted....  but it was also a spam magnet!  no matter what kind of protection I tried,  it still got flooded with spam.  Not to mention it's admin panel wasn't the best arranged [joomla was no better]

Now we're on smf!  fast as heck,  reliable.  We now have spam protection in effect with the new captcha setup,  which should greatly confuse the hell out of bots.

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 10:16:13 AM »
link works perfectly fine!!  *secretly slips in to change the .me to .net without anyone looking*

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 11:02:41 AM »
tapatalk enabled.  for those who don't know what that means, let me explain

Tapatalk is a very nice forum app for android and iphone [and windows phone soon I hope!]

It takes the forum, cuts out all the theme graphics,  transfers only the post itself to your phone,  this saves a lot of data since all the browser fat is cut out.  It then reformats all the board listings and topics into a very nice touch interface for your phone.  It can also notify you instantly of new posts and pm's.  I highly highly recommend this app, especially to all those on limited data plans.  We've had tapatalk enabled since way back in the phpbb days, even on kunena [although it kept breaking there].

Also more news,  spoiler tags are now working.  Some bbcode tags might still not work,  posts might need editing to fix minor stuff like that,  but everything is there and working!

on a side note,  you'll notice on some posts stray slashes in words.  Especially before apostrophe's and such.  this is because kunena was storing the punctuation a differant way,  so when it was imported into smf,  we get odd /'s a lot.  ignore it.  it won't effect new posts :)

if there's any bugs found,  please alert me via pm!  include description of problem and link to page it's on!

So far I've gotten nothing but compliments on the change to the new forum,  so I think this change is here to stay!

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 02:50:57 PM »
Looks good so far. Thanks for the spoiler tags, once again :)

Offline Phazonreaver

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 12:11:55 PM »
I like this one as well... Finally my eyes aren't strained and it works with opera.

Offline Kevin

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 09:57:45 AM »
A sudden email from the forums. Long time no see.

\"Pant, pant, pant, pant, pant\"
Those calls when you only hear someone breathe... yeah, that\'s me.

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »
Yeah long time no see Kevin. ;D

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 07:47:49 PM »
Couldn't leave my feedback (Not that any of you care.)
Just got back from my 2nd fishing trip.

Anyway, I like this site a lot better. Loads faster for me as well.

Everyone loves a Slinkey! <3
I love Waffles! <3