Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls  (Read 2458 times)

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
The Elder Scrolls
« on: November 12, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
A video game series, including games from many years ago. Developed by Bethesda Game Studios. Beginning from TES: Arena in 1994, it\'s been going well for Bethesda pretty much all this time. Since Morrowind it seems like they are automatically rated well pretty much everywhere.

The games are all set in the same world they have created, especially since Morrowind each game just take place in a different part of the world. The stories are connected though.

The Elder Scrolls release timeline
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

More info, clicky clicky.

Morrowind (2002) was the game that introduced me to these games. Haven\'t played the games released before that date, but ever since then I\'ve straight out bought the games Oblivion and now Skyrim, before even trying them out before. And that doesn\'t happen often.
In my opinion, these games are a lot of fun. Not too special, and by far not the best games I\'ve played. But I still manage to put over 100 hours on them each, hopefully on Skyrim as well.

I started playing Skyrim the night it was released. So far so good, Skyrim is an ok game. Could be compared well to Oblivion, not so much to Morrowind.. that was still the great game the TES series brought to me.

Haven\'t encountered many bugs yet and the few I\'ve seen have been more fun than annoying. And they broke nothing. Some unfortunate, annoying functionality I noticed, like killing chickens out of anyone\'s sight informing every guard of what happened in the area and me getting a bunch of bounty for that. One fun thing, related to that, I noticed was giving orders to your companion and I told this random companion to attack a chicken. Gave me 5 bounty, but it was worth it, as it was funny watching the guy go all hyper about it.

Overall, the game has been fine and quite a bit of fun so far, after playing it for 11 hours. I went for the Dark Brotherhood storyline as soon as I could. I expected to get the same fun-fun out of it I got from Oblivion and, so far, I\'ll probably spend some time before I leave the game for rotting until beginning a new game a year later.

Offline Renge丸

• Rosa Gallica
  • Global Moderator
  • Ayako's Onee-sama
Re: The Elder Scrolls
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 02:16:32 PM »
Like you, I first got my hands on Morrowind. Liked it a lot but couldn\'t get time to finish it.

Now, I\'m playing a fully-mod-enhanced Oblivion that my friends like to call \"Rengelion\". Which is something I really respected this game serious for; the community modding part. However, I\'m still playing it (this game is freaking long T_T) while placing Skyrim on hold for now. It doesn\'t have any \"excellent\" mods like Oblivion so I\'ll hold back a few years before I start playing it. Also, in a few years, I\'d probably get a new desktop with double/triple the performance of my current one. Making me able to play this game on \"Ultra\" graphical settings without any framelagging. Which = win

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »
Mods - lovely. Never played a TES game for very long without any mods installed!

The Creation Kit, aka Construction Set, for Skyrim should be out for download sometime in January 2012. I\'ll have to get my hands on that and start making some fun mods myself. Was always a pleasure to make mods for Oblivion and Morrowind :)

I expect a lot from the modding community this time around as well.

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 11:46:41 AM »
A TES game from year 2000 and up is always better with mods.
I mean Oblivion had it\'s combat system completely re-imagined by modders (Unnecessary Violence II) I loved the game.
So many fixes as well, not to mention HD textures and config files...

Can\'t wait for them to start on Skyrim... it\'s gonna BE SWEET!

Everyone loves a Slinkey! <3
I love Waffles! <3

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 02:51:15 PM »
one mod that expanded the PC version for me was \"The Lost Spires\" that was actually really fun and right now busily trying to redo everything to use Modular Beautiful people 2ch edition with it.

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
Mods have started flowing in for Skyrim, and they\'re coming in so much volume I haven\'t been able to keep track of them. The Creation Kit was released and you can find that in the Tools section of Steam. Steam also has their own \"Workshop\" for the mods. Here you can share your mods and look for what other people have shared. I haven\'t tried that service yet, but it seems fairly simple.

Then there\'s https://skyrim.nexusmods.com/ . They also have this easy-to-use Nexus Mod Manager which you can use to both download the mods (just click a \"download with manager\" button on the mod\'s page) and then activate them, sometimes saving some time as you\'d need to go fiddling around with the files themselves otherwise. Only need to choose the files from Skyrim\'s own Data Files section on the launcher menu and the mods are in use. Just need to register an account to use that.

It shows the total files number to be 7004 already. All kinds of mods already made; many many nude mods, breast and butt physics, a companion\'s masturbation show... Yeah. I haven\'t seen a full blown hentai tentacle rape mod yet, though. That\'ll be cool. Oh and those links might need a user to log in but whatever.

The Interface has been modified, more fitting for PC gaming. People have also modified the world map you see in game to look better and the favourites menu to be of more use, I guess. They also hate Skyrim\'s graphics. Apart from the HD texture pack that Bethesda released, there\'s also Skyrim HD - 2k textures and a huge selection of texture or model based mods.

The mods I\'m currently using are

Some nude mod with a heck of a long name
Enhanced Blood Textures
Improved Telekinesis
Midas Magic - Spells in Skyrim
Nightingale Retex - Black Sacrament - craftable ninja armor
Realistic Lighting
Skyrim HD - 2k textures
Wars in Skyrim

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 04:55:16 PM »
For all those that own Skyrim for the Xbox 360 and are planning to get the Dawnguard Expansion, PLEASE KEEP ALL SPOILERS TO A MINIMUM FOR US PC AND PS3 USERS!!!

I\'m fine with you talking about features that were already announced, I\'m fine with hearing about some of the new gameplay mechanics including the crossbow in game. Even hearing about the gameplay with the vampire lord and the transformation ability they are given.

But anything involving actual story in the Dawnguard Expansion please I ask you to hold off on it till the PC and PS3 release of the expansion for us PC and PS3 users.

Offline Vendena

• Master of the Void
  • Senpai
  • Rule Breaker
    • MyAnimeList
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 07:22:57 PM »
Like with any of the previous TES game, I decided to wait for a few month/years until there are enough mods for my own amusement.

Today I found THIS.

Maybe the waiting is over.

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:23 PM »
Won the game several times. Enjoying it still with all the mods.
Actually excited for the new Dawnguard DLC. :)
But I am kinda annoyed that Bethesda decided to release it for the X360 before the PC. Mainly since the biggest fanbase is on the PC.

I love Waffles! <3

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 04:55:32 PM »
Been playing Dawnguard for a few hours and so far it\'s been worth it. We shall see how I feel once I get to the end :)

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:06:16 PM »
Dawnguard is a bit on a pause for me, but I shall continue on it later. Took a huge pause from the whole game, actually.. until Hearthfire. What do people think of it? I\'ve just completed the small house and it already feels like the best home I\'ve had so far :D

Edit: Oh, oh, and where do you guys started building your houses? I chose Lakeview Manor as my first trial and error project.

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 06:04:30 PM »
Yay I haven\'t left yet!

As for Skyrim, the new DLC I thought was just a money maker for them.
Hearthfire was kinda... uhm lacking?
Adopts kids (seriously?)
Build homes (Nice)
And something added to home feature such as protecting it from bandit raids and dragons, having a steward and a bard.

I love Waffles! <3

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »
While I haven\'t played Hearthfire for much yet, I think it\'s a brilliant little thing :D

Doesn\'t cost much too. Of course I haven\'t seen anything particularly spectacular about it yet but still love it for whatever reason. Like a cute little pet that you just can\'t help but keep patting.

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 05:15:18 PM »
Actually Hearthfire was more to give you immersion into the game. Mostly for people who like to roleplay a character. and for $5.00 it\'s not a bad price and a neat idea. Though could have done better to offer more customization options with it. Like the Build your own Home mod where at least you could customize it to match whichever class you really chose to be like a hunter/warrior, mage, thief, assassin.  Or switch it up customize it to how you like it.  Everything was preplaced still but tons more options than what Hearthfire gave evn if it was smaller.

Having the shrines to the 8/9 divines was optional. You could instead change that for the Daedric Lord of your Choice and if you were either a werewolf or a Vampire your shrines to Hircine or Molag Bal were incorporated into the hidden lair option. Was great since my character is a warrior and a werewolf.

Many things Betheda could have done but didn\'t do. Oh well not a big deal, it was worth the price.

Now just waiting for the next DLC Dragonborn Everyone looking into the 1.8 beta patch are finding things pointing to Solstheim being the next place we\'ll be going. Since it\'s part of Morrowind. (And was the original 2nd Expansion to Morrowind, Tribunal.)

And they are introducing Dragonmounts. (Sounds cool but kinda a waist.)

Hopefully it will be fun and better expand upon the whole dragonborn lore that was started with Skyrim. (Yes I know it was started back further back than that but they never did anything with that lore till Skyrim.)

Oh and last but not least if your looking for a fun immersive RP mod for Skyrim. Look into Return Helgen on Steam. It\'s very deep into the lore of the game and is part one of a 3 part series called the Stormcrown series that will get you from being a Military Governor of Helgen, to joining the Penticus Oculatus, Then going on to become the emperor of of the empire. (Basically for fans of the empire. He does have option for you to be Governor of Helgen even as Stormcloak but he hasn\'t fully decided if he\'s going to continue on a separate set of mods to continue on for Stormcloaks. But has shown he may go on to call a Stormcloak series of mods \"The Jagged Crown series\" if he does make one.

The other 2 parts for the Stormcrown are not out yet. Since the Mod Author Giskard is still working on building those parts But he\'s well known for staying strictly to the lore that is brought up in the Elder Scrolls games. So if you want mods that might have come from Bethesda themselves, Giskard is to look too.

Also look into his other mods like Wizards of Winterhold and Telvanni Hall. If you want to further add to the roleplaying experience of the game.

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2012, 06:20:41 PM »
But like I said, it was lacking. I\'ve seen \"DLC\" which is free and added way more content and fixes to the game.
I love Bethesda games, but recently not so much. Thought Oblivion was brilliant, Skyrim is also excellent but, still very lacking. I can\'t wait for all the \"advanced\" mods which were in Oblivion, to arrive on Skyrim.

I love Waffles! <3