Author Topic: Diablo 3  (Read 2314 times)

Offline Slinkey

Diablo 3
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »

The 3rd installment to Blizzard\'s Diablo series.
Applauding Blizzard\'s wise decision to  release it during exams for schools, they would think they had time to fix the famous error 37 while all students should be studying. (yeah right!)
Or maybe they are just assholes as always.

Now I personally have no experience with this 3rd game, but I did play Diablo 2, quite a bit to experience it \"fully\". Must say the game is very good, but I now see this game... yuck!
What is with the online DRM? Piece of shit, have to be online all the time to play even SP-mode, which people mostly play. Yes Diablo 2 had MP, but that was lan, people hardly ever used the official MP by BattleNET, because it was a piece of shit, and now it is still a piece of shit, which in my own opinion justifies the game getting pirated.
\"As usual the people who get punished for the actions of a few are the vast majority. (...) The only people that don\'t suffer from DRM are the pirates.\" -CynicalBrit

The graphics is another downside, it doesn\'t remind you that Hell is actually breaking loose. It is more animated-kid-like. Diablo 2 was excellent with the overall graphics, because it fit the story and what was going on, was gloomy, sad, emo, goth whatever you want to call it, Diablo 3 is just dimmed down the lights in my opinion.

Gameplay as all new games, have been stupefied. They made it more \"user-friendly\" I hate all that shit. A game is supposed to be challenging, not point out everything you are supposed to do, and now remove your damn talents or skill tree whatever you call it.
Potions are gone, I remember in Diablo 2 that potions was the thing needed the most, during fights if you had no potions you were dead, but not here. noooooooo.

That is my take on the game, any of you playing it?

P.S I r a pirate :3

Everyone loves a Slinkey! <3
I love Waffles! <3

Offline Reckless Angel

Re: Diablo 3
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 06:27:41 PM »
where to begin...

I\'ve only played a bit so far, and... well... I have to be a bit critical.

The first time I played Diablo 1 and Diablo 2... I put the disc in, installed, started the game, started playing and then I looked up and 7-8 hours had magically passed.

Here, with D3, that... just did not happen. and that\'s the biggest bit of criticism that there can ever be for a Blizzard game. it didn\'t grab me by the collar and scream \"PLAY ME NOW!\" it just looked at me, shrugged and said \"play me if you want, I don\'t really care\".
If D3 doesn\'t care if I play it, why should I?
that\'s a really weird analogy I know... but it\'s the impression I\'ve gotten.

As for the DRM. it\'s a mess.
where to begin...

They had a few (misguided) reasons to add the DRM... The biggest of which was most likely the Real Money Auction Hall.
basically anything you find in the game you will at an unspecified time be able to sell for real money. and so, they have to make *really* sure that you can\'t duplicate (dupe) items... and the best way to do that is to have an MMO-like server that deals with mobs and loot.
which also has the added benefit of making piracy nigh-impossible for the average person.

the problem? every time you play and for the entirety of the gaming session you have to be connected to Blizzard\'s battle.net server, even when you\'re playing Single Player.
what if you have a flaky internet connection... what if Blizzard has a flaky internet connection... what if you\'re traveling?
the day of the launch, almost no-one was able to actually get into the game and play...

There\'s another glaring problem, which would have had a really really easy solution.
I hate, hate, hate, HATE Multiplayer in most games (MMO\'s are different to me)... I am *only* interested in the single player campaign.
so why was there no option to Opt-out of the real money auction hall? a tick-box somewhere after you\'ve validated your copy of the game... \"I do not want the ability to buy or sell things for real money.\"  or \"I do not want the ability to sell things to other players at all\" or if you click it, you can\'t sell more than so-and-so many gold-coins worth of stuff per day... and not for real money... etc. etc.  and ticking said box made the client download the AI-routines to the computer so you\'re no longer completely dependent on the battle.net servers.

either way. it was bungled and the game doesn\'t live up to the story, mood, or pure fun of the two older games...
the games from 12+ years ago are twice as fun as this.
\"The Universe is made of stories, not atoms\" ~ EON.

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 06:39:25 AM »
Maybe this explains why they give it away free.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Join us on discord!
https://discord.gg/u3tBuEZ

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 07:22:10 AM »
Never played a Diablo game before this one, ever. Played all the way to Hell difficulty with my demon hunter, level 52 right now I think.

Been playing with my cousin and I admit it\'s quite fun.. though it\'s mostly the good teamwork and pondering how to kill certain rare enemies we meet; they tend to cause a lot of trouble at this point :D

The game itself could be a heck of a lot better but most of its basics are made well enough to withstand these few playthroughs we\'ll need go finish it even on the highest difficulty (if we ever get there). The biggest problem with it, however, is the DRM.

Seriously? Always connected sucks.. Can\'t even play singleplayer without latency. Can\'t play it at all if it just so happens that the server is down. It even went down for maintenance during our gameplay once, and we don\'t get to play all that much because of my schedules and shit so it really should\'ve killed the mood for that night. Thankfully the game isn\'t good enough to not be replaced by something else in such situation. :D

The auction house is a fine way to make some gold by selling equipment you don\'t need anymore or buying something better than yours with sometimes very cheap buyout prices, but still, for whatever reason, just opening the AH screen makes me feel ripped off. It feels like I payed all the money for the game just for that. Especially as all the fun in the game is in the co-op gaming itself, and I can\'t believe I\'d enjoy it enough to play more than one difficulty with someone I didn\'t enjoy playing with as much as my well selected companion with the barbarian tank who can\'t even take the hits anymore.

Wouldn\'t pay the full price if I had the chance to wait a bit longer and see some cheaper prices for the game. But that\'s too late. Thanks though, it\'s still fun for what it is.

Offline Phazonreaver

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
I\'ll wait till its chepaer and the uproar and most of the bugs are fixed. But judging from many opinions... it is not worth the 60 euros they want for it

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:48:13 AM »
I got my copy free, one year wow commitment, which didnt require anything more than i already paid to play.

Join us on discord!

Offline Arntor

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 03:43:23 AM »
I\'m still waiting for a crack to appear before I purchase the game.

I never played a game with active DRM and I\'m not planning on changing that, not even for Blizzard.

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 07:40:06 AM »
Quote from: \"Arntor\" post=2100
I\'m still waiting for a crack to appear before I purchase the game.

I never played a game with active DRM and I\'m not planning on changing that, not even for Blizzard.

Did you get Starcraft II? It\'s well known Starcraft II had an active DRM added to it as well.

Honestly I liked Diablo. Didn\'t really get into Diablo II, I have had disks a long time just not played it. But it\'s just sad Blizzard was at an all time high with there games and now they are just going overboard with everything. They want to counteract piracy by forcing a DRM that forces you to be connected to there servers. The Difficulty\'s are weaker than before I mean in Diablo Hell Difficulty really made you feel like you were in hell. Diablo III from what I got from borrowing a friends account and playing only single player was a joke, it felt more like Nightmare difficulty in Diablo. And I wish I had played Diablo II I\'ve always heard it\'s Hell difficulty was much harder than Diablo\'s.

I think that the worst part of it all is that I think they put more time into marketing the game than actually developing it. I mean they showed it off at the past 3 Blizzcons what better way to wet someone\'s mouth than to be a cocktease and show off some of the levels new classes, development art etc,  and the last blizzcon you had to pay for a year subscription for wow to get Diablo III for free and that was really for the hardcore Blizzard fans still great advertisement and got people to buy into it and not just pay for Wow but still pay for Diablo III.  

Now even though it didn\'t have a spectacular launch, Who actually does have a good launch on day one btw? You can\'t tell me there has ever been a successful launch for any Game on the first day especially if you bought it through some game company and getting it through there servers.

But even with a bad launch day they went into full advertisement mode. I mean I see tons of websites with Diablo III ads all over the place. I even see Diablo III ads on TV. Yeah they are heavily cinematic based but they strangely feel like an Apple commercial. Maybe that\'s what I should calling Blizzard..... The Apple Inc. Of the gaming world. because that title sure as hell does suit them since they are discontinuing supporting older games like Diablo, they are very showy at every Blizzcon being cockteases like apple is at Keynote events. Oh let\'s not forget the raving fanboys for Blizzard who are just as bad as Apple fanboys.

You made fun of Vice-President Chris Metzen (who\'s the showiest of all the Blizzard Executives) at all and the Blizzard fanboys would crucify you like the Apple fanboys would crucify you if you made fun of there lord and saviour Steve Jobs......

Offline Arntor

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
Nope, I never played Starcraft. I didn\'t really like the Blizzard strategy games tbh. Warcraft 2 was quite fun but Warcraft 3 was a lot less entertaining for me. For the Blizzard groupies you speak of probably heresy but I preferred Age of Empires 2 and the Total War games, Rome and Medieval 2. Then again, I\'m not as an avid gamer as many.

Diablo 2 with extension (thank god for 800x600) was quite fun and indeed the higher levels were hard, and real old-fashioned hard so it comes as no surprise they piped it a bit down. Something the whole gaming industry seems to victim of these days. Nevertheless the Diablo series always have been awesome b/c of the extended storyline. Hell, during those days just an entire cd with movie interludes was quite something. From there it is just a small step to full force marketing you describe with Diablo 3, luckily I didn\'t see much of that b/c of my adblocker. I\'ve never seen a tv-ad for the game but I don\'t live in the US so I suspect the tv-ads for games overall might be less

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 06:46:22 PM »
yeah the Starcraft games were not my cup of tea. To bland and to dark.  the Warcraft games were pretty good even though I still hold the Age of Empires trilogy and Age of Mythology higher than them.

And the TV ad wasn\'t to bad, it\'s pretty good even though they are using one of the Cinematics from the game with the chapel being attacked. A very delibrate cock tease move. It felt more like something you would want to go to the theater and see. Then when you see at the end of the commercial the Diablo 3 logo and it shows for PC. your left thinking \"WTF? This is for a game?\"

Honestly I don\'t know why Blizzard doesn\'t go off and make full feature films with CGI animation that amazing.

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 09:48:31 PM »
You cannot crack the drm of diablo 3 cause technically there isnt any. Its like world of warcraft, all of the game management and character storage is server sided even for single player games.  You just simply wont have access to characters, or anything else required to play, just offline texture and game data cache.  Drm not needed, wont work without the server.

Join us on discord!

Offline Arntor

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 04:36:49 AM »
Quote from: \"Foxia\" post=2109
yeah the Starcraft games were not my cup of tea. To bland and to dark.  the Warcraft games were pretty good even though I still hold the Age of Empires trilogy and Age of Mythology higher than them.

And the TV ad wasn\'t to bad, it\'s pretty good even though they are using one of the Cinematics from the game with the chapel being attacked. A very delibrate cock tease move. It felt more like something you would want to go to the theater and see. Then when you see at the end of the commercial the Diablo 3 logo and it shows for PC. your left thinking \"WTF? This is for a game?\"

Honestly I don\'t know why Blizzard doesn\'t go off and make full feature films with CGI animation that amazing.

I know! They could easily pull it of and make a fantasy film that, for once, isn\'t only aimed at kids or action junkies. The way they could make a game -that is basically a good point&click adventure- into a mindblowing epic, was amazing. I think I\'m actually starting the game up again after this, it has been a long time :)

Btw. I don\'t know if you saw the movie Solomon Kane? The film itself isn\'t that good tbh. but you can see that some people in the art direction were major fans of Diablo.

Quote from: \"Kira\" post=2110
You cannot crack the drm of diablo 3 cause technically there isnt any. Its like world of warcraft, all of the game management and character storage is server sided even for single player games.  You just simply wont have access to characters, or anything else required to play, just offline texture and game data cache.  Drm not needed, wont work without the server.

Ow, that\'s a bummer
I understand companies want to protect their merchandise from piracy yet with such crude measures they will lose me as a customer. Too bad I\'m probably a minority in this regard

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 07:30:22 AM »
The only \"crack\" is to do a private server or a fake \"ok-to-go\" authentication like the Adobe products have when they are cracked.
Starcraft 2 you can play without the internet. All though I see no reason to buy the game then, because most people playing Starcraft 2 are using it for Multi-player.

I love Waffles! <3

Offline Kira

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 09:10:15 AM »
server,   authentication bypass won\'t be enough because game isn\'t managed on client end...  sure it would let you pass the login attempt but characters, npc dialogue scripts, quest management, map generation, all of that is all server side,  so you\'d log into a non functional game client.  would require entire server emulator.
Join us on discord!

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
There is already an emulator out there.
Mainly one is included in the SKIDROW release.

I love Waffles! <3