Author Topic: Sword Art Online  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
Sword Art Online
« on: September 24, 2012, 03:27:09 AM »
[attachment=365]A13858-1216942069.1328925727.jpg[/attachment]

In the near future, a Virtual Reality Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (VRMMORPG) called Sword Art Online has been released where players control their avatars with their bodies using a piece of technology called Nerve Gear. One day, players discover they cannot log out, as the game creator is holding them captive unless they reach the 100th floor of the game\'s tower and defeat the final boss. However, if they die in the game, they die in real life. Their struggle for survival starts now...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_Art_Online
https://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online

When looking at lists of this season\'s anime shows, this one seemed to me as a possibly interesting concept which probably falls a bit flat but still manages to entertain me. So it was a \"Meh, I\'ll give it a few episodes of time to convince me\" anime which I\'d look at after everything more interesting got out of the way. That\'s until I noticed Yuki Kajiura\'s name being mentioned.

Anyway. It was worth it after a few eps so, and it still is. Sometimes a few skips ahead in time that felt a bit hasty, but I wouldn\'t want to watch an episode per floor either so it was fun when my brain caught up with things. Sometimes also a bit lame, but I find myself rooting for the main duo nonetheless.

The whole \"virtual reality MMO where you get stuck for real\" idea seems scary at first, because it\'s so easy to make it.. uninteresting. While the characters and their stories haven\'t been anything planet crushing yet, and I don\'t believe they will be, it\'s been fine enough for me to enjoy the show. So nothing spectacular, but just fine enough for my anime needs.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Slinkey

Re: Sword Art Online
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »
Loved this until it started going dere~dere~

Everyone loves a Slinkey! <3
I love Waffles! <3

Offline Arntor

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 03:40:04 AM »
Unfortunately, every show needs some form of fanservice to sell properly these days, including SAO.
I like how they also show the nastier side of human psyche, and not just a few \'bad\' antagonists like in Accel World.

The show is gonna get even better when the whole issue with the assassins clan gets more attention, at least that\'s what I think

Offline Rambo

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 05:56:04 AM »
I\'m currently on the 10th volume of the book. I liked the first episode so much that I couldn\'t resist reading the light novel.

Offline Arntor

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 07:19:53 PM »
*Rambo makes me jealous*

Anyway, I read alot that people like Accel World more (same writer) for some reason. I can\'t understand why tbh

Offline Rambo

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:24:35 AM »

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:29:29 AM »
You reading it in Japanese?

Everyone loves a Slinkey! <3
I love Waffles! <3

Offline Rambo

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:42:39 AM »
I\'m not good enough yet to read books in Japanese. I use baka tsuki:
https://www.baka-tsuki.org/project/index.php?title=Sword_Art_Online

Offline Arntor

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 07:00:40 AM »
Quote from: \"Rambo\" post=2230

He\'s gonna mess with time, also in this show? Oh god
I hope the anime stops before that happens. If there was one element in AW which I found to be crap, it were the different timemodes

But your theory sounds plausible indeed

Offline Rahlon

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »
The new op rather pissed me off, spoilers!!!!

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 04:05:39 PM »
I have managed to stay clear of the op, by skipping it. It never really has been worth watching to me, in this show :D

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
Sword Art Online
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 03:19:08 AM »
And I have finally finished watching it. A good piece of anime, liked it until the end.

Superlateedit: Also, just remembers now a long time later, I have seen quite the dislike for many things about this show but I didn't mind. It was a catch-a-ride moment, where you either fall off on your head and complain that the ride sucks or just hang onto it and enjoy it even though it's for a different audience and people think you're weird for being there, but hey.. might as well enjoy the time invested. It's always a shame when that's too hard to do. This time it wasn't so thumbs up.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:35:11 AM by Sousti »