Author Topic: Usagi Drop  (Read 913 times)

Offline Renge丸

• Rosa Gallica
  • Global Moderator
  • Ayako's Onee-sama
Usagi Drop
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:34:53 AM »
[attachment=203]Usagi_Drop_Cover.png[/attachment]

Title:[/u]   Usagi Drop (Bunny Drop)
Genre:[/u]   Drama, Comedy, Josei
Author:[/u]   Unita Yumi
Publisher:[/u]   Shodensha (Feel Young magazine)
Original Run:[/u]   Octobar 2005 - April 2011 (56 chapters in 9 volumes)
Licensed:[/u]   Yun Press (3 volumes released as of March 2011)

Story:[/u]  
Going home for his grandfather’s funeral, thirty-year-old bachelor Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover! The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin. In a fit of angry spontaneity, Daikichi decides to take her in himself! But will living with this overgrown teenager of man help Rin come out of her shell? And hang on, won’t this turn of events spell doom for Daikichi’s love life?! [from: Yun Press]

I\'ve always been a fan of stories focusing on the \"family\" concept, with all its derivatives (parenthood, brotherhood, sisterhood, childhood, etc). But it\'s been real a while since I\'ve been fascinated by such a great story. I only watched the anime as I write this post and will start the manga from where the anime left off. However, I\'m so looking forward to this.

P.S: F U ALL!!! While trying to properly write the info of this manga, wikipedia.org spoiled the ending for me from reading the freaking plot entry...

Offline Arntor

Re: Usagi Drop
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:40:29 PM »
Never use wikipedia synopsis\'. About one in five spoils it for you, quite annoying.

But yeah, have to finish it someday. I stalled reading it when the group scanlating went to IRC only

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »
Well manga was good all the way to a certain point.

Everyone loves a Slinkey! <3
I love Waffles! <3

Offline Renge丸

• Rosa Gallica
  • Global Moderator
  • Ayako's Onee-sama
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 12:47:31 PM »
I took my time these past weeks and finished yesterday. Though I read starting from where the anime finished, the \"certain\" point everyone been nagging about.

[spoiler]
Okay, I\'ll try to keep it as brief and simple as possible. Anyone who didn\'t like it after the 10 year gap is a full-fledged pedophile, not a lolicon but a true pedophile! ...Just kidding XD

But seriously speaking, the sudden jump from a cute little girl to a big mature teenager wasn\'t easy to accept for most people. A quick simple reason for that is their attraction to the adorable Rin in her childhood. However, this leap has shown something that many works of literature have failed to show; the ups and downs.

The main concept of this story is \"parenthood\", thus it can\'t just discuss the childhood, or starting steps, of children. It has to advance, to the tedious, uncute, years of adulthood. It is like saying \"Yup, babies are very cute. But as they grow, this cuteness will slowly fade. You shouldn\'t relay on that alone to love your child.\" which is what the author is exactly trying to say.

Even if we didn\'t like how Rin became, we are obliged to continue and enjoy the story like this. This is how parenting is; you have to go all the way from heaven to hell to my dungeon.

Also, another good thing about the time gap was addressing the \"childhood friend\" issue. Childhood friends are a very commonly used elements in most JP popcult works. And it is rarely depicted \"how\" childhood friends are made. However, Usagi Drop have successfully allowed people to witness how this moemoe element is formed. Not to mention it showed how personality traits evolve over time (Rin\'s independency, Kouki\'s recklessnes, and Reina\'s stupidity (which is very adorable btw)).

Although Rin\'s true relationship to Daikichi was spoiled for me, I still find it to be impacting and sudden, just like family shit is like in real-life. And the conclusion might be indecent for some people, I\'ve seen worst cases in some undeveloped countries.

Up until this point the manga was just \"good\", but the turning point which slapped me in the face was in the last few pages.
Where she told him that she wanted to bear his child. And promised him that she will make that child happy, just like her.
I just cried after that. Totally forcing this manga into my top 3 and considering it one of the best stories of all time (I\'ve been using that term a lot lately XD)[/spoiler]

tl;dr a solid 10/10 for a realistic and heartwarming story.[/color]