Author Topic: Let\'s Compare: Utawarerumono VS Tears to Tiara  (Read 3630 times)

Offline Renge丸

• Rosa Gallica
  • Global Moderator
  • Ayako's Onee-sama
Let\'s Compare: Utawarerumono VS Tears to Tiara
« on: December 13, 2011, 02:08:47 PM »
Since both are old stuff, I\'ll get straight to the point without any fancy info.

Of course, most of us have watched either Utawarerumono or Tears to Tiara or even both. For those who do not know, these two animes were based off tactical RPG visual novels (duh). Both developed by the same studio \"Leaf\" and published by Aquaplus; the people who brought us the mighty ToHeart series.

Both games are set in a medieval fantasy setting. Where swords and mythical creatures are on the loose and magic is more popular than iPhone. Surrounded by your fearsome allies and your mighty harem, you lead the protagonist through an adventure that evolves from villages to kingdoms. And of course, aside of the main tactical battling goal of the game, you also have to win the heart of one of the girls and fuck her brains out (HELL YEAH!!!)

Most people who are into fantasy anime have taken a great likening to both stories. My question, and the point of this topic is, which one is your favorite out of the two? I\'ve been pretty curious about what people thought about both games/animes.

For me, I liked Utawarerumono much more than Tears to Tiara because it had the following advantageous points:

1) Dorii & Guraa
2) Animal Ears
3) Better Story (more dramatic and great ending)
4) Benawi
5) Kurara & CV: Tanaka Atsuko (PUNISH ME PLZ!!!! *M skill full power*)
6) Touka
7) Genjimaru & Kuuya
8.) Better OST & OP (OVA\'s OP was excellent as well)
9) Characters (especially harem) had MUCH more charisma and effective roles in the story
10) Hakuoro & Teoro (Ossan) are GAR
11) Well-Placed CV (Yuzuki Ryouka, Sawashiro Miyuki, Kugimiya Rie, Miyake Kaya, Nakahara Mai, and Koyama Rikiya)
12) Dorii & Guraa (IT\'S A TRAP!)

However, Tears to Tiara had its redeeming points over Utawarerumono for me. It can also be summarized in the following points:

1) Ogam (BE MY FATHER PLZ!!!)
2) Octavia & CV: Tanaka Rie
3) Octavia\'s story with Lidia (their finale can make me orgasm with ecstasy for hours)
4) Better Swords Fights
5) Better names (make more sense than Uta\'s since they are derived from European lore)
6) Rathty & CV: UEDA KANA!!!!!!! (Too bad she wasn\'t a cute shouta :/ )
7) Gaius & Arawn are GAR
8.) Primula (Foxia\'s rape material)
9) Well-Placed CV (Shimizu Ai, Nakahara Mai, Sawashiro Miyuki, Asai Kiyomi, Gotou Yuuko, Ogata Mitsuru, and ofc Akimoto Yousuke)
10) Taliesin molesting Epona
11) Multiple OPs and EDs (nice change of pace)

So what about the rest of you? Give points instead of boring yourself with essays or assays!

P.S: I realized we don\'t have a poll option. Why we have no poll option?

Offline Rambo

Re: Let\'s Compare: Utawarerumono VS Tears to Tiara
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 03:11:34 PM »
Utawarerumono was the stuff of legends  ;)  but I haven\'t finished watching Tears to Tiara. I plan to but somehow after about 10 episodes it stopped to interest me. I stopped following the broadcast with the BD in mind but even after those came out I still didn\'t bother to finish it. I plant to do so one day but for now I won\'t. It may turn out to be good because I found myself many times with stopping and returning to some series (Touka Gettan, Higurashi) only to say after the last episode that it was godly.
Utawarerumono has more appeal to me and the history seems to be deeper than TtT, at least after 10 episodes.

Offline Slinkey

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »
I myself loved Utawarerumono, simple because of the length of the series.
I felt Tears to Tiara left quite a lot in the dark.

I have yet to play any of the games, but from Anime point of view.. I enjoyed Utawarerumono more.

Everyone loves a Slinkey! <3
I love Waffles! <3

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:55:37 AM »
I guess Utuwarerumono is good, I just couldn\'t get interested into Tears to Tiara when it was airing. Not even going to bother now.

To be honest though both sucked. Tears to Tiara was boring, Utuwarerumono only had enough in it to be intresting but nothing that great to it. Other than the animal ears and tail stuff, it was just one of those pass the time anime\'s. Nothing that really brought itself out as amazing. The VN is probably better I\'m sure of it, and I need to spend sometime playing it just haven\'t found time recently though.

Offline Li_ThE_SpYkE

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 11:54:44 PM »
TTT only became famous cuz it was remade for the PS3 in 2007. When it was only an eroge nobody really paid attention to it, and reason was simple: not appealing.

[size=85]???????!! ???????!![/size]

Offline Phazonreaver

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 05:11:32 AM »
Why do I like utawarerumono more than TTT:
Story:
While TTT has this demon king, lost kingdom, descendants s stuff n magic n shit Utawarerumono is set in a long future of our era in which humanity destroyed the enviroment to the point it was unable to sustain it.
Some time BEFORE the \"apocalypse\" archaeologists uncovered a strange life form of a giant (yes, it is the \"true\" form of the main lead) in a struggle what to do with it the nameless archaeologist got shot and his blood landed on the creature. IT awoke from its stasis and asked him for a wish. He replied I just want to rest. It symbiotically possessed him in that mask thing with a thin needle of sort piercing his brain. He was taken as a subject of interest and later they noticed that this particular human was resistant to the enviroment. Humanity, at least what was left of it were in hiding. He lived with them and they used his cells that had unique properties- immunity n shit. He fell on love with a test subject created to live above. She got pregnant and they fled only to be captured and both she and the baby as the immune and being able to reproduce were disassembled.
He went hypermode and split into dark n light- one wanted to destroy one wanted to rest. - Proof- the lab with the gelatinous life forms- original humans transformed by him into these forms. Granting them \"immortality\" they sought to much.

This is the story BEFORE the anime I collected with my marble phantasm. So Renge it is NOT an alternative world it is the world SCIENCE created. Now bow down, don\' bite and apologise to science! :D

2. Characters:
Demon king vs unidentified life form granting possible abilities that can be accepted by our logic (no magic)
While the character growth is very nice, I like utawa more. Why? He needed to cope with the fact that he is the redeemer and destroyer. TTT\'s champ is.... Demon king with lots of power

Note in TTT: ELVES HAVE NO POINTY EARS? BLASPHEMY! *fires phazon missiles randomly in the air*

3. world
TTT: After all this time I don\'t remember it. Nothing memorable except the avalon or what kingdom long lost and forgotten and some demon king stuff...
UTA: World ravaged by humans, then \"repaired\" but the enviroment was not suitable for the original humanity. This strange life form that joined a single dying human, some remains of the original human underground labs. I was really impressed tha the main hero didn\' unleash some kind of super hissatsu skill to kill the tiger mother creature, but they figured that water is its weakness.

H scenes. Both games were nice, but I laughed at TTT. Traveling by sea.... One of the heroines randomly approaches the hero and rapes him. And many others I really laughed at.

Well I played the games and watcehd anime. Thus I collected as much of the story as possible.
Final judgement: Storywise: Uta is more memorable than Tears.

Offline Arntor

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
It\'s been a while since I saw both series but would also choose Utawarerumono of the anime adaptions.

Mainly because of:

Arthur
He should be killed slowly with a lawnmower

Offline Reckless Angel

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 08:34:09 PM »
I\'m watching TTT right now. (up to episode 12 so far)
I\'ve watched Utaw a few times since it came out...

The characters in Uta had a lot more charisma to them, and they were all introduced a bit better... and the differences in their strengths and weaknesses were also explained a lot better.

and in TTT I am quite often (so far) frustrated by how stupid some of the characters are...
in the last two episodes I\'ve seen some really grade A examples of stupidity.
[SPOILER]1: the kids left the castle after having been order expressly not to do so by someone they really really admire.
2: While knowing that the enemy now knows where their castle is, Rhiannon still went out on her own to pick some mushrooms... and obviously she got captured. [/spoiler]
i\'ll probably see a few more of these later on, sadly..

That was something that Uta never really displayed.
\"The Universe is made of stories, not atoms\" ~ EON.

Offline Renge丸

• Rosa Gallica
  • Global Moderator
  • Ayako's Onee-sama
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »
1) the kid it\'s yaoi material, he is bound to get kidnapped by a group of horny men.

2) Rhiannon is.... A blonde with brown hair, enuff said.

3) in my opinion, you just finished the most epic episode of the anime (Octavia vs Lidiya). Don\'t get your hopes up. Not don\'t stop watching it either.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

Offline Reckless Angel

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 07:18:57 PM »
TTT Octavia vs Lidia spoiler
[spoiler]Since you hadn\'t seen any one but cannonfodder and evil guys die in the series, I was expecting Lidia to be beaten into friendship... when she ended up really dead I did shed a tear or two. darn ninjas chopping onions.[/spoiler]

Karura\'s or Touka\'s stories swayed me more though... probably because I had more emotions invested in their characters.

That said... here\'s another epic tale of remarkable similarity once you start looking for it: Scrapped Princess.
\"The Universe is made of stories, not atoms\" ~ EON.

Offline Foxia

• フォックス女神
  • Senpai
  • Retired Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 07:26:16 AM »
I thought about mentioning Scrapped Princess, but held off.  It is better than both Uta and ToT in my opinion. :D

Offline Renge丸

• Rosa Gallica
  • Global Moderator
  • Ayako's Onee-sama
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 03:13:34 AM »
We don\'t want this to turn into fantasy anime comparison, do we?

I chooses uta and ToT because they both come from the same developer and both had similar themes.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk.

Offline Vendena

• Master of the Void
  • Senpai
  • Rule Breaker
    • MyAnimeList
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:41 PM »
Oh dear, remake this thread in the VN section then I\'ll be able to properly give my opinion.

Being serious now, I remember playing the games two or three years ago. I played Utawarerumono first, many months later I played Tears to Tiara... and I didn\'t really compared them.

Personally, I like Uta more. I was all like Kyaah! <3 and Moeee! while I was playing, enjoyed the setting more too. With TtT I was like Oh, alright. Still enjoyed most of it.

Then again, I\'m talking about the VNs. I watched the anime adaptations but I was like... \"meh\"... still watched them tho.

*Feels like she posted something... but really didn\'t*

Offline Sousti

• Wolf maid~
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
Uta.. I\'ve watched Utawarerumono a few times already, ToT just once. They both have the same kind of dumb moments, but Utawarerumono just feels a bit more fun.

Like been said before, the characters in Uta are actually quite well written and a few of them I will never forget. So, Utawarerumono wins by the length of Eruruu and Aruruu.